From the end of April 2022, in–person Graduation ceremonies with guests in attendance at the Senate House will resume. 2 guests per graduand are currently permitted. Up to three guests will be hosted in College on the day of the ceremony, and the format of these arrangements will be confirmed when booking.
The University holds 10 Congregations every year, which usually take place on Fridays. Any degree can be conferred at these, and they are arranged between two and three times a term.
These Congregations are generally smaller than General Admission & MA Congregation. They usually consist of people being presented for postgraduate degrees, such as the PhD and MPhil. The Colleges do not present students in person at all of these.
As with other ceremonies, each degree can only be conferred once, either in person or in absence. If a degree is conferred in absence, it cannot then be conferred in person at a later date.
It is vital that Congregations are booked in significant advance, and no later than three weeks before the selected date.
Arrangements for other Congregations
- If our students have not graduated in person, they can selected a convenient date and book for the ceremony online.
- The timings of the day vary, and depend on numbers of graduands from other colleges.
- The College welcomes graduands to lunch on the day, with 2 guests (further guests are subject to a small charge).
- We recommend arrival in College by 11.00, dressed in graduation attire.
- The Dean will meet graduands in the Parlour or the Old Library for a brief rehearsal, before procession to the Senate House.
- All graduands are offered 2 guest tickets, and they will be available for collection in the Porters' Lodge. Entry to the Senate House is ticket–only.
- At least 5 days' notice is necessary if there are any reasonable adjustments that need to be made for access, or if any guest is under 14.
- Spare 'waitlist' tickets can be requested (max. 1 guest). Allocation is confirmed after the end of the registration period, and availability cannot be guaranteed (particularly in Easter Term).
The College's Guest Rooms department can be contacted to enquire about our facilities, if necessary.
The return of guests to our degree Congregations has necessitated changes to the way in which the ceremony is livestreamed. In order to ensure the privacy of guests and staff the number of indoor cameras has now been reduced to two; one will remain in the gallery providing a wide-angle view of the Senate-House and the dais and the second will be above the dais to capture the moment of admission from a position in front of the graduand. These positions will minimise the likelihood of guests being inadvertently recorded. The private YouTube link for each ceremony will remain live for two months after the ceremony.
The livestream is provided to allow those friends and family members unable to attend the Senate-House to view this important event. It is provided on the understanding that it is a private recording, not to be publicly shared on social media or in any public forum. Whilst the University and the contractors will make best efforts to provide the livestream, it is not guaranteed and some circumstances may prevent either a live broadcast or possibly a later showing of any recording.
The link for the livestream is below:
https://cambridge.graduations-live.co.uk - ceremonies will not be listed until approximately two days before the event.
- Any queries should be directed to the Tutorial Office