Hall & Catering
Our bright & elegant Georgian Hall is laid out in a traditional medieval format. It is used by our College community of students, Fellows & staff to eat, catch up and socialise together.
Buttery & Hall
Breakfast, lunch and informal dinner are served Monday–Saturday, via a self–service Cafeteria system. Brunch & dinner are available on Sundays. All Hall food is automatically charged to your College Bill, via your University card.
Daily Service Times
|1215–1315||Saturday; self–service |
Sunday (outside term); self–service
|Brunch||1030–1230||Sunday (only in term); self–service|
1Service for dinner continues until 1900. Students must leave the Hall by 1910, so the Catering staff can complete preparations for Formal at 1930.
Vegetarian & vegan dishes are always available, and dietary requirements detailed on Formal Hall bookings are catered for. Students with specific dietary requirements or allergies should contact the Head of Catering. Food allergens are displayed with each dish, and on the screens outside the Buttery. As the kitchen produces a wide range of dishes, we cannot guarantee all potential allergens can be eliminated.
The Buttery Shop sells essential food items & College wine. It is open Monday–Friday between 1100 & 1330, and 1730 & 1900. Items can be purchased with cash, or using your University card.
Kitchen Closure 2022/23
|Michaelmas Term||Monday 19 December (PM)–Tuesday 4 January (AM)|
|Lent Term||Friday 31 March (PM)–Tuesday 11 April (AM)|
|Easter Term||Saturday 12 August (PM)–Wednesday 30 August (AM)|
An exciting and unique part of the Cambridge experience is our Formal Halls. People often book these to celebrate and enjoy a three–course, served & candlelit dinner in their gowns. These are offered on most evenings. Formal Hall is provided each evening except Wednesday.
Arrangements for Formals
- More traditional Formals are held on Monday, Friday & Sunday evenings. These have a limit of 4 guests per person.
- Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday evenings are open to clubs & societies and larger numbers of guests (although you can book without guests).
- Formals are smart occasions, and students must wear their academic gowns.
- Students should specify any allergies or food restrictions in advance. Staff will only serve the dish prepared, and will not provide an alternative dish.
Formal Service Times
Daily (except Wednesday)
Students & guests should be at the entrance to the Lower Hall by 1920 to be seated. Entry to Formal Hall will be refused if you are late, and if you are not in a fit state to participate.
How to Book
- You must book at least 3 days (72hrs) before the Formal itself via the internal booking system.
- Dietary requirements must be given when you book.
Behaviour at Formal Hall
- Students must remain seated during Formal Hall, and are not allowed to move round the Hall during dinner.
- Table setting objects must not be removed from Hall without permission of the staff supervisor.
- Photographs can be taken only after the Fellows have left the Hall. Students must respect the privacy of the other diners, and the reputation of the College.
- There must be no toasting, singing, or drinking games. The Hall is licensed premises, and rowdiness & drinking games breach the terms of the College’s alcohol licence.
- Clubs, societies & individual members of the College can book events & functions other than Formals on Thursdays & Saturdays.
- Bookings can be made via the online booking system.
- Dinners must be finalised with the Head of Catering at least 10 working days beforehand.
- In Easter term, charges to students who are graduating must be paid in advance.
Full & definitive details regarding the above information are set out in Domestic Matters.