The graduation ceremony at which most of our students are awarded their degrees is called the 'General Admission'. It takes place in June, at the end of the Easter Term.
In 2023 General Admission will be held on Friday 30th June.
Cambridge degrees are conferred (awarded) by the Congregation of the Regent House. They are subject to students meeting all the academic & residence requirements set out in the University Statues.
General Admission is the ceremony where undergraduate degrees (and some postgraduate degrees) are conferred. These are: BTh, BA, VetMB and BA with MEng or MMath or MSci degrees. Our graduating students are known as 'graduands', and Emmanuel usually presents them to the Senate House on Fridays.
Normal General Admission Timetable
- Apply to graduate via the Graduation tile on your CamSIS homepage by 5th May 2023
- The evening before the General Admission, our graduands are invited for dinner in Hall. The Fellows (often their Director[s] of Studies & supervisors) also attend. Beforehand there is a drinks reception in the Old Library .
- On the morning of the ceremony, the Dean holds a rehearsal in the Old Library.
- This is followed by a commemorative photograph in Front Court.
- The graduands assemble in procession on Front Court with the Dean & Head Porter.
- They then lead the procession through the city to the Senate House for the ceremony.
- After the ceremony has been completed at the Senate House, the now–graduated students return to College for a drinks reception and buffet lunch.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The University Website provides more information on Cambridge Degree Ceremonies.