Find below answers to queries regarding the Senate House ceremonies, College arrangements and information for Part III Undergraduates.
Senate House Queries
Is there a dress code for guests?
There is no dress code, but guests should bear in mind that this is a formal occasion.
How long is the ceremony?
Each session in the Senate House is up to 50 minutes long.
Do children & babies need a ticket?
All guests for the Senate House require a ticket. If any guests are under 14, the College must be informed. When bringing very young guests, please bear in mind that the ceremony is formal. Babies in pushchairs are usually accommodated near to an exit, should they need to leave during the ceremony.
Is there access to the Senate House for guests with restricted mobility?
Yes, but for General Admission in particular, please inform the College, so that ground floor tickets can be allocated.
Are extra Senate House tickets available?
- The automatic allocation for each graduand is 3 guest tickets, or 2 for the MA Graduation.
- 1 additional 'waitlist' ticket can be requested, which will be allocated on a first–come, first–served basis.
- These tickets should be requested from the Tutorial Office.
- The availability & allocation of 'waitlist' tickets is not guaranteed.
- 'Waitlist' tickets will be released in the week before the ceremony.
- Fire Safety regulations for the Senate House restrict the total number of tickets that the College can allocate.
Are graduating students (graduands) included in ticket numbers?
Yes, graduands are automatically included in Senate House numbers and do not need to book for themselves.
Can I request tickets for, or pass spare tickets onto, a friend?
- Only tickets that are needed should be requested.
- There are different tickets for each Senate House session and lunch venue, so it is likely that ticket allocations will be different from other graduands in students' friendship groups.
- After the registration closing date, any unused tickets are reallocated to those who have requested 'waitlist' tickets.
Will information be sent about the General Admission 'sessions'?
Emmanuel is allocated two of these sessions. On collection of tickets, the Tutorial Office will confirm allocation of the first or second session. Regardless of the session, graduands need to arrive in time for the Dean's rehearsal at 0915.
Does the College provide gowns for graduation ceremonies?
No, the necessary gown & hood must be hired or bought from Ede & Ravenscroft or Ryder & Amies.
Do graduands need to book lunch tickets?
Tickets are automatically allocated to graduands, so lunch does not need to be booked for those graduating. Lunch tickets must be reserved for guests. If no guests are attending alongside the graduand, please inform the Tutorial Office.
Can I bring extra guests and/or children to lunch?
We are able to accommodate extra lunch guests for most ceremonies. If extra guests and/or children need to be included in the numbers for lunch, the Tutorial Office needs to be contacted.
Undergraduate Degree Part III Queries
A Part III should not be confused with an MPhil, which is a new graduate degree.
If I am planning to continue to a Part III, is applying for General Admission needed?
- A Part III is a fourth–year extension to undergraduate studies. If a Part III is not automatic, & dependent upon results, then it is necessary to sign up for General Admission.
- If students are planning a Part III, then the Tutorial Office should be informed at the same time that General Admission is applied for.
Students with a confirmed Part III place:
- The Tutorial Office needs to be contacted as soon as possible after confirmation.
- Part III students will then be withdrawn from the ceremony, and booking cancelled for dinner beforehand & lunch on the day.
- Any payment already made will be credited to students' accounts via the college billing system.
- You will then graduate once you have completed your Part III.
If taking a degree in absence, or having been accepted for a Part III, is it still possible to attend the General Admission dinner?
- The College views the dinner & ceremony for General Admission graduates as the same celebration.
- If you have chosen to take their degree in absence, or you are moving on to a Part III, it is not possible to only attend the dinner.
Graduands are asked not to request to attend the dinner only.