All students must register with a local doctor when they arrive at College, as the University does not have its own practice.

Registering with a General Practitioner (GP)

  • If you are already registered with a GP in the UK, you should bring your NHS medical card or NHS number to help your chosen surgery trace your correct medical records quickly (this is not your National Insurance number).
  • You may need to consult the doctor you are registered with before you arrive if you do not know your NHS number.

Contacting your Cambridge GP

  • In the case of health concerns, you should consult your GP when the need arises. You can also call NHS 111 if you have any minor concerns.
  • Any students who become seriously ill will be referred to Addenbrooke's Hospital, and their primary caregiver when away from College will be informed.

You must call 999 in the case of a health emergency.

  • All GP surgeries have an out-of-hours number that you can call in an emergency, which they should give you when your register. The out-of-hours doctor or health professional may assess the situation over the phone, ask you to attend a clinic/service or in cases of serious illness or incapacity, visit students in their rooms. They will be able to arrange any necessary specialist assessments.
  • If you need your GP to visit you in College, requests for visits should be made as early in the day as possible.
  • Please only request a GP for night calls if absolutely necessary, and immediately inform the Porters if a doctor is called to the College at night.

Notifying the College of any physical health concerns

  • If you are confined to your room by illness of any kind, you must inform the Porters by calling the Lodge on 01223 334200.
  • They will will ensure that the Porters' team, your Tutor & the Nurse are informed.
  • Alternatively, you could ask a friend or neighbour on your corridor to call on your behalf, or take a message to the Porter on duty.
  • If you remain overnight in hospital while at College, and it is possible for you to do so, you should contact your Tutor to let them know.