A 'Fellow' is someone elected under the College Statutes to share in the governance of the College as a member of our Governing Body, and to undertake teaching, research and/or administrative duties. All of our College Officers, including Tutors & Admissions Tutors are Fellows. Most of our Director of Studies (DoSs) are also drawn from the 'Fellowship'.
Under the College Statutes there are different categories of Fellow:
- Official Fellows & Professorial Fellows normally hold a College Lectureship, and teach undergraduates in their subject. They are also active in research. Most hold a University appointment (as a Lecturer or Professor), but some hold a full–time College Office as a College Teaching Officer, or in a College administrative role.
- Research Fellows are post–doctoral researchers, elected by the College for a period of three years. They often do some undergraduate supervising, but their primary role is to pursue their own research.
- Someone who has been a Fellow for 25 years or more can become a Life Fellow. They continue to be members of the Governing Body until the age of 70, and often continue with faculty duties, and teaching & research.
We also use the title 'Fellow' to refer to others who have a close association with the College. They are not members of the Governing Body and are not responsible for College governance, but contribute to the College in other ways.
- Emeritus Fellows are those who have been Fellows for seven years, before retiring from the College & the University. They often continue to be active in their research area, and some still teach.
- Honorary Fellows are usually—but not exclusively—elected from amongst the College membership, and are chosen for their achievements in public life.
- Bye–Fellows are appointed by virtue of a teaching or other significant association with the College.
In addition, we use the title of College Research Associate (CRA) for post–doctoral researchers who assist the College in various ways, most usually through undergraduate teaching or through research collaboration with a Fellow of the College.
You can find below a searchable list of our entire Fellowship:
90 Fellows listed:
Auditor of the College Accounts; Director of Studies in Engineering
Dhruv Sawhney Official Fellow; Professor of Acoustics and Biomedical Technology
Director of Studies in Economics
College Lecturer in Economics
Director of Studies in Natural Sciences (Biological and Physical)
Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry
Adviser to BAME Students
Sir Alan Wilson Research Fellow
Director of Studies in Medicine
Director of Studies in History
University Senior Lecturer in Medieval British History
Director of Studies in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology
University Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology; Director of Education, School of Technology
Member of the College Council; Fellow Librarian; Fellow Archivist; Development Director; Editor of the College Magazine; Curator of the Museum of College Life