John Balderston was admitted to the College in 1659 and elected a Fellow in 1665.
During his Mastership the number of admissions fell to under 20 in most years, and to only 7 in 1711. The financial state of the College was also poor, and several fellowships were left vacant in order to save money. Extensive repairs to the buildings were needed, and an appeal for money to rebuild the Founder’s Range was sent out in 1719.
Balderston published nothing and received no preferment except for a canonry at Peterborough in 1681: he was buried in the cathedral there. The College History describes his time as ‘one of the most undistinguished masterships’.