From an intimate meal for a special occasion in the beautiful Fellows' Breakfast Room or a banquet in our magnificent, panelled Hall with its oak benches, you will find food of the highest quality and impeccable service.
Click on a room for full details and layouts:
The Hall, which occupies the exact position of the church built by the Dominican Friars in 1238, is used on a daily basis in Term time by our students, Fellows and staff. During vacations it is available to book for dinner. One of the most handsome Halls in Cambridge it is the perfect setting to impress business associates, overseas visitors or family and friends. Guests are seated on the historic oak benches and surrounded by portraits of the College Masters – a real taste of Cambridge College life. A string quartet playing for your guests from the Minstrels' Gallery will make any event unforgettable.
Seats 135 plus 15 in the Minstrels' Gallery.
Originally the College Chapel the open timber screen is from the original medieval building. After the completion of the Wren chapel, the room was used from 1680 to 1930 as the College library. Now used for meetings and lectures, concerts, plays and other social functions the room is hung with portraits which include a full-length picture of the Founder, Sir Walter Mildmay, painted for the College in 1588.
100 seated, 130 standing.
Named after a Bursar of the College the Gardner Room is sited in the Front range on St Andrews Street. This frontage was built to designs by James Essex in 1769-75 in the neo-classical style.
45 seated, 60 standing.
The Upper Hall was added to the College along with new kitchens in 1959 in a Scottish Lowlands vernacular style, designed by a Member of the College, Robert Hurd, who had worked with great success on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. The room provides a flexible space with a built in bar in one corner. Ideal for a conference set up or for dining the room overlooks the herb garden of New Court.
100 seated, 130 standing.
Where the Fellows did indeed use to take breakfast, the room is also known as the Thomas Young Room after a famous member of the College. A genuine polymath, Sir Thomas developed the wave theory of light as well as devising the Young modulus and deciphering hieroglyphs using the Rosetta stone. It is the only dining room with a view of Front Court and the Wren Chapel.
Emmanuel College Gardens are amongst the best in Cambridge with ponds, lawns and well stocked flower beds. A drinks reception in the Paddock in the shade of the Caucasian Wingnut tree by 'The Jester' sculpture is the perfect beginning to a memorable evening in one of the dining rooms. Chapman's Gardens are no less splendid with Weeping Willows and a magnificent Dawn Redwood to provide shade.
Varies by location