This month, my key activities are planning & launching a number of programmes which will be taking place over the course of this term. These include:
- the BME Shadowing Scheme, spearheaded by the ECSU Racial Equalities & Access Officers
- AMES Taster Workshops, in collaboration with Dr Laura Moretti
I'm also looking forward to supporting the ClickCambridge programme; working with Magdalen & Hertford (Oxford) again, for the continuation of Next Steps; and virtually visiting individual schools across our link areas!
If you are interested in working with me, then please email me, Finn Manders (pronouns: She/Her) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intermediate Japanese Taster Workshop: 4 March 2021, Year 11
Applications for the workshop have now closed, but you can still watch this taster lecture with Dr Moretti, filmed exclusively for this programme!
Japanese & Chinese Taster Workshop: 25 February 2021, Year 12
Applications for the workshop have now closed but you can still watch this taster lecture with Dr Moretti, filmed exclusively for this programme!
BME Shadowing Scheme: March-July 2021, Year 11
Led by Emmanuel’s Students' Union, the BME Shadowing Scheme is open to Year 11 students from our link areas of Sheffield, Essex, Thurrock, and Southend-on-Sea, who identify as being part of an underrepresented ethnic group.
The programme will run from March 2021 through to July 2021, involving mentoring from current students, the opportunity to ‘try out’ new courses through the ‘subject strands’ (via lectures & supervisions), and get insight into what it might be like to be a student at the University of Cambridge. The programme will run virtually, over MS Teams/Zoom, but we hope to invite participants to Cambridge for the final celebration of the programme. The Shadowing Scheme is open to any student who identifies as BME, but will prioritise
- those who identify as part of the the most under-represented ethnic groups at the University of Cambridge (Black, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Arab students)
- those in care or who are care leavers, those eligible for free school meals (or who have been eligible in the last six years), those who live in areas with low levels of progression to HE as determined by home postcode, estranged students, young carers, and those who would be the first generation of their family to progress to higher education
- those studying at non-selective & non-fee-paying schools
Each month will have a theme:
- March-April: Welcome to Cambridge & Subject Introduction (lectures & group supervision focussed on subjects not covered at school)
- April-May: Student Life (socials with mentors)
- May-June: Subject Support (lectures & group supervision focussed on supporting school-based learning - e.g. study skills & GCSE to A Level transition)
- July: Celebration (dates TBC; may be later in the year, COVID-dependent)
Next Steps Sheffield: Year 12
Next Steps Sheffield is a webinar series, which aims to give Year 12 students from Sheffield the tools to make a competitive application to Oxford/Cambridge run collaboratively by Magdalen College, Oxford, and Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The programme began last term, but we will now be accepting late applications for participants to join us for the final sessions in the series. There will be 3 webinars on February 9th, 10th & 11th, covering Study Skills & Course Choice; and a final webinar in April covering Application support.
Next Steps Essex: Year 12
Next Steps Essex is a webinar series, which aims to give Year 12 students from Essex, Thurrock & Southend-on-Sea the tools to make a competitive application to Oxford/Cambridge run collaboratively by Hertford College, Oxford, and Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The programme began last term, but we will now be accepting late applications for participants to join us for the final sessions in the series. There will be 3 webinars on February 9th, 10th & 11th, covering Study Skills & Course Choice; and a final webinar in April covering Application support. Application is open to students who meet at least one of our widening participation criteria (Schools | Access and Outreach | Admissions | Emmanuel College, Cambridge).
A pre-COVID visit to Emmanuel