In December 2014 and January 2015, a team of students spoke to 691 Members. Of those, 72% very kindly agreed to make a gift, raising a significant sum for the College.
The monies are being used for student support, to help with refurbishing rooms in North Court and to support teaching and research in the College.
A team will be phoning again in December 2015 and January 2016 and the students are very much looking forward to talking to Members.
Members enjoy their conversations with students, and in recent years we have received comments such as the ones below:
- 'Charlie struck me as a model ambassador for the College, and certainly seemed well-briefed on the priorities we face.'
- 'Please pass on my good wishes to Briony - what a delightful young woman and what a superb ambassador for Emma!'
- 'I enjoyed talking with Ryan and getting an update on North Court and particularly R staircase! I was not aware of the benefit of the number of members contributing with relation to the applications to major donors … with this in mind, I am pleased to enclose a small donation. As I mentioned to Ryan, my priority at present is to try to help my two student grandchildren …'
- 'I congratulate you on the fundraising programme. The young woman, Helena, who called me had been very well trained and adopted a most effective approach. She was neither too chummy nor too pushy. I very much liked the sound of Emma’s outreach programme, encouraging applicants from schools which have never sent pupils to Cambridge before.'
- 'Please pass my best wishes on to Zachery, who was a pleasure to talk to.'
- 'I enjoyed speaking to Kate and wish her well in her future plans. She has what it takes to succeed.'
- 'I have to record how impressed I was with Emma. Her enthusiasm and ability to converse on a wide variety of subjects did both her and the College proud and if she is representative of the current batch of undergraduates, the country is not in such a bad state as many try to persuade us. Please thank her for her time and her refreshing approach to her fund raising task – well done indeed!'
- 'I compliment Rob on the way he went about his task, which is not always easy.'
- 'I have added some extra and made it £600 as a token of long-lasting friendship with you and appreciation to the call from Rebecca.'
- 'I very much enjoyed chatting to Rachel. As the ‘widow’s mite’ is acceptable I enclose a cheque for £25.'
- 'It was a real pleasure talking to Elizabeth as part of your telephone fund-raising campaign. It was a lovely reminder of the diversity and vibrancy of College life. She spoke passionately about the financial support College continues to offer students who need it, which is something I am delighted to support (in my small way, as befits a family of teachers with young children to raise) for as long as I am able.'
- 'It was a real pleasure to speak with Lewis on the telephone; he’s a great voice for Emmanuel.'