You can feel accepted and 'at home' whatever
your background or beliefs
Oliver, 1st Year
Mock Admissions Interview
Lydia takes a mock interview for a place on the Mathematics course. Although Lydia is a current student posing as an applicant the interview was not rehearsed and she did not know what to expect.
Please read these notes for further information regarding the filming of our mock interviews.
Mock Interview Notes
These videos are designed to give you some idea of the structure of a Cambridge interview. They show real interviewers, but the ‘applicant’ is someone who was already a student at Emmanuel.
Although this means that they have already gone through the application procedure and have been successful, the videos were not rehearsed and the ‘applicants’ didn’t know precisely what to expect.
- Videos were filmed using current undergraduates, not actual applicants. These undergraduates were volunteers. They were not paid for participating in the video, and the interviews themselves were not scripted in any way.
- The undergraduates in the videos were instructed to answer questions using the level of knowledge which they believe themselves to have had at the time when they applied to Cambridge (i.e. not the level of knowledge they have now). Such things are always difficult to estimate and the undergraduates may well have presented themselves more favourably in these videos than they did at their actual interviews. It should be remembered in any case that these undergraduates were successful applicants, and therefore would presumably have done fairly well at their interviews in any case. Students should not be put off from applying because they do not feel they reach the standard demonstrated by the applicants in the videos.
- These interviews are intended to give an accurate idea of a Cambridge interview at Emmanuel College, and their aim is to demystify the interview procedure and better inform applicants as to what to expect. They are not intended to provide a basis for a ‘winning formula’ for a successful application to Cambridge.
- The ‘applicants’ in these videos are not necessarily typical of the students normally admitted to Emmanuel College, and no attempt should be made to divine from them the personality type or profile of a successful applicant.
- Equally, these interviews are not necessarily entirely typical of the kind of interview an applicant can expect at Emmanuel College in the subjects shown. Many subjects use several interviewers, and all have their own ‘style’ of interviewing.
- If a student happens to apply to Emmanuel for one of the subjects for which we have filmed an interview, they will not be asked the same questions as are shown in the videos.
- These videos were produced by Emmanuel College and are not part of a University-wide project. The University has produced a video of two mock interviews, which are available online.
Directors of Studies
Other Teaching Fellows
Staff and students (including Divya from Emmanuel) talk about the mathematics course.
Grace, in her second year studying Maths, talks about the course. For more information visit: www.maths.cam.ac.uk